Friday, March 2, 2012

Every Day is Better

I spent a week dosing up on Vicodin and Ibuprofen til I ran out. I called the Dr for more who agreed I should not be in so much pain. She gave me a prescription for half the dose of Vicodin and seemed concerned. I don't know if she thought I was enjoying the pills or not but I certainly proved her wrong.

I took the reduced dose per the prescription and spiked a fever. Being home alone, 1 week post-surgery with a fever of over 100 makes for an emotional LilliGirl so I called the medical advice nurse's provided with our insurance. She in turn had me speak with the Doctor on-call who wanted me in the office in the morning.

My sister took me and after the joy of a trans-vaginal ultrasound (you should all know that word now thanks to the news,) a physical exam and blood work it was deemed there was an infection "somewhere." I was put on a double,  7 day dose of Z-Pac in addition to Flagyl.

I did blood work again on Monday to learn my white cell count had gone from "very high" to "high" and saw the Doc again on Thursday. She is awesome by the way. She did trim up my stitches that seemed to be popping out of my belly for me and said the infection is likely the result of a hematoma (blood collection.) I feel (and look) 1000 times better. I will repeat the meds for a few more days and go for more bloodwork on Monday. All this has conspired to keep me out of work but I do realize it is for the best. I'm getting better every day now!

Next time I shall provide you with all the reasons you should have supervision after surgery.  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/02/2012

    Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm happy you are FINALLY on the road to recovery now. Good things ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/02/2012

    You know what gets my goat about the pain medication? When my husband has his vasectomy and needed more pain meds there wasn't even an issue. Same for his knee injury. I literally couldn't life my head because of a 10 day migraine but had to go to 2 different neurologists just to be given Tylenol 3. I ended up at the ER because I was vomitting from pain. Hmmm, I guess us women just have it all in our head. Perhaps these doctors are just a pain in our ass ; ) I hope all keeps going well and I have no doubt in my mind that people need supervision after surgery. Especially antsy people who can't sit still and push themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she did reduce it. She thought something was wrong but didn't know what over the phone. I went from a morphine pump & Tardol to Vicodin & Ibuprofen. I never want to NEED narcotics for more than a week and tapering it down is what made the symptoms become clearer so I could be treated. And at that point we nixed the vicodin altogether and switched to Tardol/Ibuprofen/2 hardcore antibiotics. I think she did a good job.

    Normally, you are not seen until the 5 week post-op visit but because I've been watched closely as a result of the complications I've seen her several times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your body has certainly been going through a lot lately. Here's hoping you're over the worst and only getting better from here.

    ReplyDelete