Thursday, November 27, 2008

Oh, Tukey Day; Oh Turkey Day;

How I love your side dishes...Sing it with me! I can always skip the turkey and just go for side dishes and dessert! We loaded up and went to my sisters for dinner after perusing the paper whilst drinking coffee and watching the parade and finishing up desserts at home. This year I made a mocha trifle, Strawberry Cheesecake and our always requested Peanut Butter Balls. Dinner was great. My Mom made her sweet potatoes and my sis did up mashers, turkey and stuffing. Each of the kids helped with the baking this year in one way or another. It was a very nice day.

I took them to their Aunt's house afterwards to hook up with their Dad for the weekend. We were all too full to eat but it was good to see and catch up with everyone. Now that we're divorced I don't see them as much anymore. The biggest shocker was how much all the children have grown...I mean, you know it happens. You watch yours grow. But when you show up and see a young man of 16 porting his class ring and now a Jr in high school when you still think of him as a 10 year old buy it's stunning. And the little girls that used to whine and run around behind their mother all the time being such little ladies now - It's amazing. All good stuff! I'm glad I went and hung out.

I am taking my Dad shopping tomorrow sometime between 3 & 5 am. God love him, this is not my idea of fun but I could not let him miss a tradition he loves simply because he can no longer drive himself. In years past it would be he and C with the little ones all wanting to go but being left behind. They did get to go a few years ago and once C could drive she has taken him for the last 4 years. It makes me sad that she does not want to go this year...They've been doing this for at least the last 10 years together, but she does not, so he and I will go. I love my Dad so much. It's the least I can do. Me, I'm an online kinda girl. Half my shopping is already done and I did not see anything I'd be inspired to buy that I could afford...I'd love a big new LCD TV and to be able to buy C a laptop, but not in the budget this year. If I only did one I'd get her the laptop, but I just can't see it...Christmas is all about miracles though so we'll see what happens.

I am so thankful for all my family and friends. I hope you are too and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. you are sweet to take your dad shopping.......glad your Thanksgiving was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/28/2008

    Thanks - And I am glad Johnny Boy got to come home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I could skip the turkey as well and go right for the stuffing, mashers, and cranberry sauce. Then onto the pie!

    ReplyDelete