Monday, November 16, 2009

I love my sourpuss...

Z is loving The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm letting her scary little bod watch it because it does offer a fun, happy way to look at stuff that would otherwise frighten her. She summed it up for me today...Jack knows he wants Christmas too but he just doesn't understand. He has to think so hard his head might explode...And then he might go there. (where you wonder? I did.) You know, the graveyard. Then he'd have to be buried. I loved how she whispered so the movie couldn't have a chance of hearing. This is timely because we went to the river yesterday...

With all the rain you heard about in VA our rivah is about 4 ft above flood level so it's closed unless you have a permit. We hiked about 2 miles in my favorite area. It used to be a slice of wilderness but some yahoo found it and has turned it into a nice park full of markers and history...It's still good but so much more crowded than it used to be. Now the trails are all marked, there are porta potties and even some handicapped access areas so everyone can go out on the rocks...Call me crazy but even I don't think it's really a great idea to give folks access to wheel out their babies/grandmas onto the river. What if your brakes fail? Anywhoo, we hit Hollywood Cemetary too, finding access from the park. Kids and adults enjoyed reading the graves and admiring the stones. Cool stuff.


I picked up my chillens from school today, slightly late but not enough to be "in trouble" with the folks lined up at the sprint line to go home after caring for and teaching our darlings all day. The boy had a good day. He always does. The girl announced she did not...Her lunch account is low and if Mommy doesn't take care of it she can't have lunch! They even had to take money off her brother's account! We reassured her that the lunch ladies would not starve her. Her brother pointed out he's "been there, done that" and got a cheese sandwich with milk. She was not placated, pointed out she was mad and off we went. I tried a trick I've used for years. Hell, I still use it on her 9 yr old brother. I announced we'd be going to the bank and we should get lollipops. (I could hear crickets chirp in the back seat.) We did go to the bank and I got said lollipops...She refused it and looked at me with that wise beyond her years scowl as if to say, "WTF - you ain't buyin me off woman." A little later she declared she'll have to watch her money at breakfast because she can't not buy lunch...I can feel the faith emanating. Perhaps I should hop off and go fund this child.

4 comments:

  1. I like the new background!

    I love hollywood cemetery! It was sooo nice to be outside with sunshine after all of the rain. Glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new background!

    I love hollywood cemetery! It was sooo nice to be outside with sunshine after all of the rain. Glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite hiking spots has the same thing - they`ve made it easier for people with strollers and wheelchairs to hike out, and it`s a place that`s really not safe for small children and those with mobility issues - high cliffs, slippery rocks and toddlers do not mix. I saw a young girl this summer, climbing the rocks in her flip flops - she almost fell down a 50 ft drop...

    Poor Z. She has about as much faith in you as my Emily has in me. I hope she`s better at handing things into the teacher and bringing notes and mittens home than Emily is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/17/2009

    I love hiking in the parks and going to the cemetary. Hey, I see nothing wrong with Nightmare before Christmas for kids. It has its own little kids edge, nothing wrong with being a little twisted lol.

    Smart little girl you have. :-)

    ReplyDelete