Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Excitement I Just Don't Need...

Z ran in the house today to tell me there was a black dog in the driveway. Because we do have a chained dog that meets all the requirements to be a dangerous dog, including living his life on a chain I hurried outside after pulling her in...It wasn't that dog. It was this one:

The pics not great but she was busy. She had no collar. She did have a string tied very tightly around her neck. I would have missed it at first if I couldn't see it peeping out of her fur. The fur where she was tied has pretty well worn off. The string was fresh, not embedded, but well on it's way. Her nails had never been trimmed judging by the length and splaying of her toes. She was soooo nervous but very happy for attention despite the fear. And glad for a few bites to eat.

I cut the string. I put a collar on her, she's been brushed a bit and her nails have been trimmed. I had to drag her in the house...Like most outside dogs she staunchly refused to come in the house. She's crated right now while I figure out what the hell to do.

I suspect I can easily find the owner, but do I want to? I don't think anyone that would tie a string that tightly around a dog's neck deserves to get her back. Are they just stupid and in need of education or total assholes? I'm betting on the latter since they didn't even have a collar. And if she doesn't go back won't they blame the dog and go get another? I hate it. I really, really do.

9 comments:

  1. I hate that too. She looks like a Rotty if you don't want her someone will. Call the Rotty Rescue group and tell them what you know about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - she seems to be purebreed. I have a note out to our local Rottie Rescue and some of my other foster groups friends in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With 2 fosters here I can't reasonable take on a 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooooooo glad you are helping these animals...there are so many I WISH I could help...had a kitten jump in my car the other day and it about broke my heart to have to leave her...but the money to pay for her worms, fleas, shots and getting fixed...well, it is non-existent...ohhh but I wanted her so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/17/2009

    I say if you know of a place near by that would take her in and take care of her (not put her down), try that. I wouldn't give her back to the owner either. If you want to keep her, go for it. Take pics of what is wrong with her now and then show them if someone fights you for her. Not sure if it would work but worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/17/2009

    Hard decision to make but the tight string act? yeah, the owners don't sound competent to take care of a living creature. hope she finds a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. frickers- i really despise people like that. good for you- now find a rescue... which I am sure you are already looking for. and/or a HS- i know, i know they euthanize... that is better than the fate she will have if they(frickers) find her and want her back. :) good luck. rocket

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is awesome, Ames...and he markings on her feet are not so clearly defined plus her nose is a little long I think. May just be bad breeding though since we see a lot of that around here.

    Dragon, I so can't keep her...easy reason I give my kids is that county doesn't allow for owning more than 2 dogs without a kennel lience. Real reason? I need another dog like I need a hole in the head. I just can't afford it.

    I've contacted our local rescues and explained the situation. I have a possible Rottie group that can tak her but they just got 3 puppies in the last week so they have to find somewhere to place her...sigh.

    If it doesn't work out I will take her to the shelter where a friend works that is not so close to my home. That will at least give her good leg up on not going back where she came from and on getting into rescue. Some people just suck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another one? When will people start to take responsibility?

    ReplyDelete